A college’s team name and mascot is extremely meaningful to its sense of identity, community, and school spirit. The Carthage College Task Force on Team Names and Mascot considered the following questions as it evaluated its team name.
- Is this team name unifying for the Carthage campus and larger Carthage community?
- Does it represent positive qualities, ideals, or associations around which people can rally?
- Is it broadly relevant across the Carthage community, student body, and among generations of alumni?
- Is it representative of the Carthage experience and/or history, either generally or specifically?
- Does it work equally well for women’s and men’s sports teams?
- Does it have the potential to translate in a visually pleasing manner?