Policies & Information
Due to the ongoing and uncertain nature of the COVID-19 global pandemic, Carthage has had to review existing policies and practices related to the financial management of our J-Term study tours. As a result of this review, here are some important updates:
Update to the Study Tour Withdrawal and Refund Policy
We have formalized and updated the key dates and payment schedule as follows:
For all Study Tours, regardless of when they travel:
Students are required to make a $500 non-refundable deposit to reserve a spot, once an application to the study tour has been accepted.
For January travel:
Students who seek to withdraw or cancel between September 1 and November 30 will be responsible for all non-recoverable costs, in addition to their non-refundable deposit. Students who seek to withdraw or cancel on or after December 1 will be responsible for the full cost of the study tour and will receive no refunds of the program cost.
For Summer travel:
Students who seek to withdraw or cancel between February 1 and April 30 will be responsible for all non-recoverable costs, in addition to their non-refundable deposit. Students who seek to withdraw or cancel on or after May 1 will be responsible for the full cost of the study tour and will receive no refunds of the program cost.
Insurance and J-Term Study Tours
Because of the uncertainty around travel due to COVID, Carthage can no longer assume the sole financial risk of refunding 100 percent of student fees if the College is forced to cancel a study tour. Therefore, Carthage now requires that all participants in off-campus programs purchase Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) travel insurance. This insurance is designed to protect your investment in the event you are unable to participate in the intended program. Most CFAR policies will cover up to 75 percent of unrecovered costs. Carthage is committed to covering the remaining unrecovered expenses (up to 25 percent of the total cost of the study tour). Thus, with the purchase of this insurance coverage, students would still net full refunds of their study tour travel costs.
While Carthage does not require the use of a specific insurance agency or provider, the College has reviewed policies from several reputable insurance companies that offer this form of coverage at reasonable rates, such as Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). CFAR insurance premiums are typically between six and eight percent of the total program cost and must be purchased within 21 days of the initial deposit payment. This cost is in addition to the direct travel costs associated with our J-Term programs.
All participants will now be required to provide proof of insurance as part of the documentation required for their chosen Study Tour. If a participant elects not to purchase CFAR insurance, they will be required to complete the Insurance Release of Liability document.
Carthage cannot anticipate when or which airlines or countries may require proof of COVID-19 vaccination to allow travel or entry, and some hotels, museums, restaurants, theaters, and other venues may require proof of a COVID vaccine. For these reasons, the College has made the decision to require, without exception, all students, faculty, and community members who are participating in an international J-Term study tour to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to departing campus.
All travelers will need to provide proof of vaccination in advance. Additionally, in order to minimize the risk of participation in events while on the program or disruption to or interruption of travel, all travelers must plan to carry proof of vaccination with them at all times while off campus.