New Student Organization Application Information
Interested in starting a new club/org on campus? Below is a list of criteria that need to be met before creating a new club at Carthage.
At a minimum, all student groups requesting official recognition from Student Government must meet the following standards before their application is considered:
- A group must have at least 10 currently enrolled full-time undergraduate students.
- A group may not duplicate the purpose and/or activities of an existing student organization. This provision safeguards limited resources and encourages students to work cooperatively when their interests and intentions are similar.
- No group may discriminate against any person based on age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
- All groups must be non-profit in nature. A group must disclose if it is known by any other name or affiliated with any other organizations or parent groups (i.e., Amnesty International, Habitat for Humanity, etc.).
- A group must abide by all federal, state, and local laws, Carthage College policies, and in the case of affiliated groups, the policies of their parent organization.
- A group must select an advisor who is a member of the Carthage College faculty, staff, or administration.
- All groups must establish a purpose that is consistent with the mission of Carthage College.
- All groups must warrant that they will not present an undue risk to participants or Carthage College.
New Student Organization Recognition Timeline
- Harbor applications are due by 5 p.m. the Friday before October Break.
- Complete applications are sent to Student Government for final endorsement two weeks after October Break.
- Approved new clubs/orgs are notified at the start of the spring semester budget submission process.
- Harbor applications are due by 5 p.m. the Friday before Spring Break.
- Complete applications are sent to Student Government for final endorsement two weeks after Spring Break.
Approved new clubs/orgs are notified at the start of the fall semester budget submission process.