The Carthage Art Department offers a number of competitive scholarships to prospective studio art, photography, and art education majors. Scholarships are also available for photography minors, and film and new media minors.
When to Apply
Applications are available now, and you can apply through Feb. 14, 2024.
The scholarship portfolio reviews are taking place on Nov. 11, 2023 and Feb, 3, 10, and 17, 2024. In-person and virtual portfolio reviews are available. If you are visiting the College at another time before Feb. 17, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an alternate time.
Note: students entering midyear should apply for a scholarship in November. The results of all interviews and portfolio reviews will be included in the applicant’s financial aid package developed in March by the Office of Student Financial Services or in December/January for students entering midyear.
Apply for a Scholarship: Sign-Up for a Portfolio Review
Studio art, art education, photography, film, and new media scholarships are awarded based upon a review of the applicant’s art portfolio by members of the Art Department faculty. You will discuss your artwork with an Art Department faculty member, answering questions about your ideas, materials, process, and aspirations as a developing artist. If you are on campus for your review, you will also tour the art facilities.
What to bring to your portfolio review
A portfolio consisting of a minimum of 15 of your best art pieces in a variety of media. This may be work you have made in school and/or outside of classes. Sketchbooks are welcome!
- For in-person reviews please bring the actual artworks.
- For pieces you cannot bring, please bring digital images or a link.
- For virtual reviews, please share digital portfolios weblink or video links with email@example.com.
- Your resume
- One letter of recommendation (preferably from a teacher or mentor)
TIPS FOR SELECTING WORK FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO
- Have an art teacher or mentor help you to choose your best and most representative works.
- If you have worked in a variety of media, please bring a breadth of work, such as drawing, painting, digital art, printmaking, video, photography, clay, metal, wood, etc.
- If you work in sketchbooks, please bring those to your review.
For more information, contact the Art Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 262-551-6247.
- Join our mailing list to receive more information about Carthage’s competitive scholarships.