Borrowing & Access
What resources does the library offer?
Hedberg Library has a collection of Print Books, Magazines, BluRay/DVDs, Classical Music CDs, New Releases, Children’s Books, and a huge variety of Research Databases and eBooks. Search the Collection for more information.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
Please keep copyright in mind when conducting research and using resources. In many instances, special consideration is given for educational use (Fair Use) of materials. Please see the Copyright webpage for further information.
Who May Borrow from the Library?
In order to borrow library materials, one must be associated with Carthage College in one of several ways. The nature of that relationship will determine the level of service provided.
Each person is responsible for returning all materials charged to their library account by the due date.
Learn more about checking out equipment
|ITEM||STANDARD LOAN PERIOD|
28 days; 90 days (faculty)
|DVD / Blu-ray (non-print)||7 days|
|CD (non-print)||28 days|
|Laptops and media equipment||3 days|
|Course Reserves||Varies (2 hours/24 hours/3 days/7 days)|
Laptops and media equipment cannot be renewed. Patrons must return the item and wait one hour before checking it out again. This grace period provides other patrons access to the item. All other items (books, DVD, CD) may be renewed up to three times.
For students, all fines and fees will be sent to the Office of Student Financial Services to be added to the student’s account and can be paid there. For faculty/staff, all fines will be sent to the user’s department for payment. Hedberg Library does not take in money for fines.
Fees on General Collection Items
The Carthage Library does not charge daily fines for overdue materials. However, materials in the General Collection (books, CDs, DVD/Blu-ray) that are 30 or more days overdue will be assigned a $45 fee for the replacement cost of the item as well as a $15 overdue fine.
If you have lost an item from the library collection, you have the option of purchasing an identical copy of the item (with the exception of circulating equipment) as a direct replacement for the lost item. If the lost item is out of print or no longer available, a comparable version of that item may be purchased as a replacement with the permission of a Librarian. The $45 replacement cost will be refunded if you replace the item or return the overdue item. Overdue fines will not be forgiven.
If you are interested in this replacement option or have questions about general collection fines please talk to a Librarian at email@example.com.
Hedberg Library expects to have all items borrowed from the library returned. There is a book return cart to the left of the Circulation Desk in the library. Another book return is located to the right of the library doors, inside the Hedberg building. Please note: equipment cannot be returned in the exterior book return Please make sure that you are only returning library-owned items to the library.
The Barnes & Noble Bookstore on campus requires students to return their rented textbooks at the end of the semester. Please make sure that you are not returning library-owned books to the bookstore.
These users are eligible for a full range of services and must present a current Carthage College ID card.
- Currently enrolled Carthage students
- Current Carthage faculty and staff
- Retired Carthage faculty, administrators, and staff
If you are not a Carthage community member, as specified above, you will require a Special Borrower card to borrow materials.
The following types of users are eligible for limited services through a Special Borrower card, available at the Circulation Desk:
- Carthage alumni (must show valid Alumni Card)
- Carthage faculty/staff/emeriti immediate family members
- Carthage food service staff
- Carthage Public Safety staff
- Carthage Bookstore staff
- Educators providing school ID cards (teachers, librarians, administrators, etc.)
- UW-Parkside students, faculty, and staff (must show UW-Parkside ID)
- Gateway Technical College students, faculty, and staff (must show Gateway ID)
- Clergy/Torchbearers in Kenosha or Racine Counties
- Academic Advisory Committee members
- Honorary degree recipients
- Trustee and immediate family
- Guest users who purchase a library card for $25/year (Guest users may purchase a year’s worth of access to Hedberg Library’s resources by paying the above fee with cash or check, made out to Carthage College, at the Circulation Desk.)
ACQUIRING A SPECIAL BORROWER’S CARD
Special Borrower’s Card application forms are available at the Hedberg Library Circulation desk. The completed form must be submitted with the required fee of $25 to the Library Circulation Desk (for guest users only); cards will be created as you wait. Benefits are available only to the individual to whom the card is issued for one year.
People under the age of 18 who wish for guest access must have the application form signed by a parent/guardian. Carthage does not restrict access to Internet sites, media, or printed materials, so parents should carefully consider whether they want their minor child to have access to the full range of Internet and library resources. Special Borrower Cards will not be issued to any minors under the age of 14.
RESOURCES FOR TO VISITORS WITH A SPECIAL BORROWER’S CARD
- Allowed to check out a maximum of six (6) items at a time
- Use of desktop computers in the library
- Access to printer and copy machines (fee per copy)
RESOURCES FOR VISITORS Without A SPECIAL BORROWER’S CARD
- Use of materials in the library
- Use of desktop computers in the library
- Access to printer and copy machines (fee per printed page)
RESOURCES NOT AVAILABLE TO VISITORS
- Interlibrary Loan
- Checking out computing equipment and laptops
- Use of computers and locations other than the Library
All users have access to Hedberg Library’s resources within the library space, including computers, print materials, and library space (with the exception of equipment). We ask that guest users (no library card needed) show proper identification and sign the “Visitor Sign-In” form at the Information Desk. Guests are allowed to use the printers in the library but must sign in at the Information Desk and pay a fee per printed/copied page.
If you are a part of a conference or special event on campus, please contact Conference Services to set up access to LIS services (WiFi, printing, etc.)
Patrons Under Age 14
Hedberg Library welcomes children as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Children under the age of 14 are not permitted in the library unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. If unaccompanied children are found in the library, a staff member will contact campus security to report the situation and seek assistance.
Revocation of Visitor Privileges
A Special Borrower’s card may be revoked and guests may be denied use of library resources if the guest does not observe the guidelines on this document. Grounds for revocation of guest privileges include:
- Failure to return library materials in a timely fashion
- Failure to pay fines
- Damage to any library materials or equipment or facilities
- Non-compliance with computer, library, and Internet use rules as described in the Carthage Student Community Code
- Failure to cooperate with library staff
- Misrepresentation of information on the application
Warnings need not be given before the revocation of a card. No part of the fee will be refunded if guest privileges are revoked.